Why I Write Fantasy

22 Jan

Quick note: just posted a new short-ish video on YouTube talking about why, and how, I decided to start writing fantasy stories! (It’s 15 minutes long—short for me, anyway.)

Why do you write/read fantasy?

What drew you/continues to draw you to this genre? Or alternatively, what do you like about reading fantasy stories? Let me know in the comments!

7 Responses to “Why I Write Fantasy”

1. T. S. Bazelli January 23, 2017 at 9:25 AM #

Because, magic! Also, you can imagine the world/people any way you want. You can have your characters be anything. No restrictions on the imagination. 🙂

• T.M. White January 23, 2017 at 2:38 PM #

Yesssss… I think no other explanation is needed, really. 😉

2. Sarah White January 23, 2017 at 10:32 AM #

Didn’t know that Martha Wells was your beginning to a world of “fantasy”; I remember that book now…Glad I had you both start reading! 🙂 The best thing you can have your children do is explore a creative path alongside the academics! It makes for a more balanced, well developed learning curriculum. It gives children an outlet to escape the pressures of the academia world and the brain to process in a creative way….Music was an outlet for you as well! 🙂 You are a woman of many gifts and incredible ideas! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. Anthony Lee Collins January 27, 2017 at 12:28 PM #

I don’t write fantasy per se, but there are usually a few non-realistic elements floating around in my stuff, which also takes place in a location which doesn’t exist, at a time which is never exactly specified.

I think a lot of times when you try to make your stories “realistic,” you end up with something that’s a lot less weird and wild than actual reality.

Or it could just be that it’s fun. 🙂

• T.M. White January 28, 2017 at 12:01 PM #

I guess that goes back to the old saying: “Truth is stranger than fiction…”

Which isn’t always necessarily the case, but hey. “Truth” can be strange like that.

4. jazzfeathers February 12, 2017 at 3:26 AM #

Well, that’s one question which is not easy to answer. I think it depends a lot on the person we are, on how we see and undertand the world.
    But on a more prosaic level, I can say that history was my favourite subject since the very early years of school (surprise! surprise!) and when I was a little girl I discovered mythology and fell in love with it. I learned a lot about Greek and Roman myths, then I wanted to explore diffferent myths as well. I suppose this is why I’ve loved the mixing of history and the supernaturl from a very early age and when I discovered fantasy in my teens I just fell in love.

Also, I’ve always been fascinated with the 1920s-1940s periode, the deco times. When I was a kid, I would watch mysteries on tv together with my granny, who was a huge fan of mysteries. Back in those days (it was the 1980s) a lot of black and white mysteries aired on tv here in Italy, many were noir or classic Hollywood mysteries. Many were straight gangster movies.
    I’m still a hard reader of mysteries, I suppose that’s become the natural storytelling mode for me. I also supposed it was just a matter of time before my love for fantasy, history and the deco periode fell all together.
    I’m very happy I discovered Dieselpunk. And to be honest, the first time I heard the word (some three years ago) I immediately knew that was my home 🙂

• T.M. White February 12, 2017 at 7:33 PM #

What? You loving history? Stop. 😉

Ah, yes…and who doesn’t like a good gangster story? (I’ve been meaning to find a new one to watch on Netflix or something. Hmm…)

“I’m very happy I discovered Dieselpunk. And to be honest, the first time I heard the word (some three years ago) I immediately knew that was my home.”

I feel the same. ^_^