The Chandra Tribune: New Blog Title?

21 Dec

For a while now, I’ve been wanting to update the look and direction of my writing blog/website and really start branding myself as a dieselpunk fantasy writer. It’s a niche I really enjoy and know I could get a good number of novel-length stories out of–six stories, to be exact! Though, I suppose, if necessary, I could always “rebrand” myself later if I were to write something else.

Anyway, I was looking at some new themes to possibly use then thought, “What the heck. Why not figure out a way to bring in more of the dieselpunk theme with the WordPress theme I’ve already got (Bueno)?”

As you can see, after some finagling around, this is what I came up with:

Screenshot 2014-12-21 12.40.39

In my first novel within the world of Element 7, there’s a newspaper called The Chandra Tribune that plays a somewhat significant role early on in the story.  I thought it’d be cool to play with that and use a vintage typewriter in the background along with a more neutral color scheme. I’ll probably do a little more tweaking with my tagline and descriptions and whatnot at another time, but I just wanted to get something going and see how it turned out. I really like how other writers like Bard Constantine (his older site, which I don’t think is up) and JazzFeathers incorporated dieselpunk elements into their sites, so they are a bit of an inspiration to me. 🙂

Also, I thought I’d like to keep my URL, but I’m not sure if calling the site “The Chandra Tribune” will be confusing. “Tiyana Marie White” or even “T. M. White” across the page doesn’t really appeal to me, to be honest, so maybe I will change the URL. I don’t know, I’m not a web designer, though I’ve always loved putting my own spin on things. 😉 WordPress has made that very easy (and affordable!)–which is one of reasons I plan to stick with them.

Anyways, we all know how distracted I can get, haha, so back to editing!

What do you all think of the look so far?

Is this a direction I should go in? If so, any tips to make the overall theme work better?

13 Responses to “The Chandra Tribune: New Blog Title?”

1. jazzfeathers December 21, 2014 at 1:36 PM #

Hey, Tiyana, I love the new look of your blog!!! It’s definitely dieselpunk and streamlined, and I love the header, strong and simple. So nice!

Can’t wait to read your new posts 🙂

• Tiyana December 21, 2014 at 2:08 PM #

Thanks, Sarah! I’m lookin’ forward to blogging about more fun stuff besides “progress” like I have been lately, though that’s good, too. 🙂

I’m gonna check out your “8 Sentence Sunday” entry tonight and see if I can’t get something up on Dieselpunks, heh.

2. deshipley December 21, 2014 at 7:04 PM #

Cool look! I’m a bit of a sucker for the aesthetic of old-school writing tools (vintage typewriters, quills and inkwells, what have you) and subtle color palettes, so no complaints from this end. (:

• Tiyana December 21, 2014 at 7:11 PM #

I knew I wasn’t the only one. 😉

Good to hear from ya, Danielle. 😀 How’s the writing life been going? (Or life in general, for that matter, haha.)

• deshipley December 21, 2014 at 11:55 PM #

Oh, keeping plenty busy. Book 5 of my fairytale series launched at the top of the month (now onto editing Book 6), and I’ve got a short story in an anthology coming at the end of January. Maybe one of these days I’ll let myself have a vacation, but we can only hope nobody’s holding their breath for that. I don’t want the deaths by lack of oxygen on my hands. X)

• Tiyana December 23, 2014 at 6:01 AM #

That’s awesome! Congratulations!

And yes, let’s all keep deaths-by-asphyxiation to a minimum, if possible. 😉

3. Anthony Lee Collins December 22, 2014 at 6:17 AM #

I like the new look a lot. (Hey, I remember when typewriters were all the rage — it was definitely a great day when I got my first one 🙂 )

It still looks the same on mobile, by the way

I think you should keep the URL, though. For one thing, it’s your name, and you want that out there. For another, you don’t know who has it bookmarked — if you change it you lose them.

• Tiyana December 22, 2014 at 9:27 AM #

Hey, Anthony! Thanks for the feedback. 😀

Huh, that’s weird. Is it the same on mobile or the app? ‘Cause it looks new when I use the mobile version, but plain on the app…

• Anthony Lee Collins December 23, 2014 at 12:08 PM #

On my phone, it’s just plain white with a blue bar across the top. On tablet and laptop it’s regular. I’m just in the browser, not an app.

• Tiyana December 23, 2014 at 12:21 PM #

Oh, okay. Yeah, I’m seeing the same thing. Not sure if I can even customize my mobile page because even though it shows me it’s changed when I’m in the customizing mode, it doesn’t actually show up.

Weird!

• Anthony Lee Collins December 23, 2014 at 12:27 PM #

I think simpler is better on phones. My blog has a very basic mobile theme, too.

Yours looks fine on my 6-inch tablet (I’m writing this at work — shhhh 🙂 ). Smaller than that, I mostly just want the words anyway.

4. Lindsay Kitson December 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM #

Love the new look, very professional 🙂

• Tiyana December 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM #