Progress-ish + New Site…Possibly?

11 Mar

Howdy, folks!  Checkin’ in with a progress report, of sorts.

Progress!

Last two weeks were craaaazy busy for me.  I’ve been working on a couple of design projects and pretty much using every spare moment I wasn’t working at the furniture store to do it.  I was quite tired at the end of it all, needless to say. (Still working on one of them, but there’s been a lull.)

Speaking of a lull, this past weekend I was able to get some editing done! Three scene plus I wrote a new one. (Apparently I skimped where I shouldn’t have–ooooo…) It was fun.  We’ll see what I get done this week/weekend. (Get to see the long-distance boyfriend this Saturday! ^_^)

Anyway, I’m just realizing I have to take my down moments where I can get ’em at this point.  Element 7 will get done.  Just a matter of time.

New Site…Possibly?

I really do want to set up a new author/writing site and blog, preferably through Wix. (I use them for my business’ website and have fallen in love.)  Also, a Facebook page.  However, I feel I shouldn’t do this until after I’ve completed my edits.  I’m thinkin’ of this as a reward–and a milestone marker indicating me taking the next big step to getting published, I suppose.

BUT.

Wix let’s you design and preview a site before it goes live, so of course I couldn’t resist setting up a little something.  Just a quick mock-up:

I’d love to have some decent photos taken with me wearing dieselpunk attire… That would be fun.  And cool, I think.  (Look: I’m even getting some ideas for my own dieselpunk looks as we speak.  Maybe one day I’ll blog about the stuff I have collected and share some pic-stitches of ideas for looks I have.) I may want some neat adventury artwork in the background, as well.  Hmm…

Dieselpunk Fashion

Anyway, this was just me playin’ around, dreamin’.  Might go for a more vintage theme and/or color palette on the website.  I’m sure I’d add a “recent news” section on the bottom of the home page, and I don’t think I’d have any telephone numbers listed…but yeah.  It’s just a start.  Will probably switch it up by the time it really matters anyway.  In any case, I do know I can’t really see myself not writing fantasy, and though dieselpunk may pass years down the road, it’d be kinda fun to stick to that niche (for the foreseeable future, anyway).

Random fact: I’ve been told by the super cool author Bard Constantine, who also writes dieselpunk stories, that I have a “vintage look” in this photo I shot while staying at this updated mid-century modern hotel called the Valley Ho here in Arizona:

IMG_1643e

Though not intentional, I do love vintage objects–especially furniture and home decor–so I have to admit: this both flatters, and amuses, me.

10 Responses to “Progress-ish + New Site…Possibly?”

1. T. S. Bazelli March 11, 2014 at 9:09 PM #

Oooh I like the mock up! Very professional looking! Dressing up sounds like a lot of fun too. Great to see you’re still working on Element 7!

• Tiyana March 11, 2014 at 10:10 PM #

Thanks, Theresa! I feel good when I do. 🙂

2. Anthony Lee Collins March 14, 2014 at 5:06 AM #

Grab the moments when you can — sometimes that’s the only way. That’s sort of how things are for me, too, but then when you do make progress it feels extra special.

I like the mock-up of the site. You’re going with “T.M.”? You’ve got a name as cool and memorable as “Tiyana” and you’re keeping it a secret?

:sigh::

🙂

• Tiyana March 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM #

Well…I didn’t think “Tiyana White” sounded like a very author-ish name, heh, but maybe that’s just me!

• Anthony Lee Collins March 14, 2014 at 6:45 PM #

No, come on. The whole thing. Tiyana Marie White. You can’t go wrong with three names (and I should know 🙂 ).

Orson Welles used to say that the biggest mistake he made in his career was losing his first name (he was really George Orson Welles). He said that with all three names, he’d have been unstoppable.

• Tiyana March 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM #

Ha! Well, when you put it that way… 😉

3. Stephen A. Watkins March 14, 2014 at 9:49 AM #

Well, that hat is awesome, and possibly a vintage-inspired look. I like it.

• Tiyana March 14, 2014 at 5:33 PM #

Why, thank you! It does have the shape of a newsboy hat, now that I think about it…

I’m surprised how many compliments I get when I wear it! That and my tweed one.

4. Jay Noel April 28, 2014 at 9:10 AM #

I used Wix for my official author site too! http://jaynoelbooks.com