Halfway There – Reflections On 2013 (So Far)

23 Jun

This morning I was just thinking how fast this year has already gone by…and how much I’ve changed.  I felt compelled to write a little about it here.

Halfway There

Virtues to aspire to for the remainder of 2013: patience, courage, faith.

Patience in knowing that acquiring experience as wells as building relationships with clientele and earning their trust takes time. The courage to try new things in order to further myself–so I might one day be able to say “yes, I am experienced” while acknowledging there is still much left to learn. Faith that I have what it takes to confidently live the life I’ve been given and am capable of making the most of it.

~

I’ve never liked being considered “new” or “not good” or “inexperienced” in anything I’ve put my mind to. It’s easy to avoid such endeavors when other things are nearly always going “right,” but when you get to a point where all seems to be going “wrong,” that leaves you with no place to hide.

Sometimes I’ve allowed the fear of failure or mediocrity to become a hinderance, an excuse for not trying–so much that I let it rule my life, stunting my growth as an adult. But this year I’ve realized that fear is not an acceptable excuse anymore.

Halfway through 2013 I can look back and say I’ve made a lot of positive changes in this regard, and it’s certainly a start…but let’s see what else we can accomplish before the year is over.

~

11 Responses to “Halfway There – Reflections On 2013 (So Far)”

1. deshipley June 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM #

Sounds like, in essentials, our twenty-thirteens are taking us in similar directions.
    (Lol — and after reading your third- and second-to-last paragraphs, what lyric should enter my ear this very moment but “Those who don’t try, never look foolish”. Brownie points to anyone who can guess from that which song I’m listening to.)
    In any event, here’s wishing the best to us both. Turning into a grownup is one heck of a process.

• Tiyana June 29, 2013 at 3:51 PM #

No kidding! It can be the pits but also exciting, I suppose. 🙂

P.S.: aww…not brownie points for me…lol. (Not without cheating, anyway.)

• Tiyana June 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM #

Oh! Btw, I love your new gravatar pic! 😀

• deshipley June 29, 2013 at 4:52 PM #

Thanks! ‘Tis my official author photo. ^-^

2. Vikki Thompson June 26, 2013 at 2:40 AM #

Good luck honey! 🙂

xx

• Tiyana June 29, 2013 at 3:52 PM #

Thank you, Vikki! I’m gonna need it…lol.

3. Stephen A. Watkins July 1, 2013 at 9:47 AM #

Good lessons for 2013 so far, if difficult ones.

My 2013 lessons have been mostly on the “patience” front: forcing myself not to feel bad about not having the time to do what I want – need – to be doing, and to accepting what I must be doing instead.

Good luck with the second half of the year.

• Tiyana July 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM #

Thanks, Stephen!

Yes, patience. That’s another one I’m working on as well, in some regards…lol. I feel your pain. T_T

4. Jay Noel July 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM #

Sounds like you’ve been having a challenging yet fulfilling first half of the year. Looking forward to getting updates on your writing.

• Tiyana July 2, 2013 at 7:11 PM #

For sure!

• Sarah White July 5, 2013 at 7:53 AM #

You have shown so much growth, maturity and wisdom this past year. To start your own business and put yourself out there took courage and faith in yourself and your abilities. I feel, you have not even touched the surface of what is in store for you. At 24 you are learning and conquering life lessons that even people in their forties haven’t learned and grasp yet. Lol! If you remain teachable, you will continue to grow and blossom! Can’t wait to see what the next sixth months will bring for you!