Absent

20 Mar

Oh boy, I’ve been neglecting you, poor readers!

Work, New Jobs & Stuff

Honestly, I’ve been so swamped with finding new work and getting my business running that I’ve completely pushed aside my writing life.

*sighs*

Lately, when I come home from work, I’ve noticed that it’s almost impossible for me to get into the mood to write or edit.  As such, I’ve determined if I’m going to keep at this novel thing, I have to get up extra early and do my writing then.  In the afternoon/evening I find myself naturally wanting to work on stuff related to my business.

So yeah, early morning novel stuff–that’s definitely gonna take discipline…lol.

Inspiration

What actually prompted me to remember all of this was the fact that I just finished playing the new Tomb Raider reboot last night.  Some of you know I’m a fan of Lara Croft, as well other archaeological and tomb-raiding characters such as Indiana Jones and Evelyn from The Mummy series.  I love globe-trotting adventures that are connected to mysteries of historical significance.  This very same spirit runs through my novel, Element 7–in its own fantastical “secondary world” way, of course. 😉

For reasons I can’t explain, few things make me say “stop the world–all else is on hold!” like a new Tomb Raider game would–and that’s Indiana Jones, The Mummy, and new episodes of “The Legend of Korra.”

Silly, but true.

Anyway…the new Tomb Raider game was pretty darn awesome, imo.  And even though it’s set on one island rather than in multiple locations like the old games (or the ones I played, anyway), it’s still epic in its own way.  As you can imagine, after finishing the game I was reminded of my own adventure story, which has gone neglected for too long now…

A Struggle

This editing/writing stuff has always been a constant struggle for me, but now it’s only going to get tougher.  I’m basically going to be working three jobs in the upcoming weeks–one with my current part-time retail position, another part-time job as a contractor for a lady who runs an estate sales business, and then my own business.  So, as you an imagine, squeezing in writing time is not gonna be easy.  (Of course, not playing video games might help. 😉 Though, everyone needs a little downtime and a way to replenish their imaginations.)

So why am I doing aaaaall of this?

Because I haven’t been able to find something in my field full-time.

The good news is that the estate sales lady wants to draw in more business so that she can have a full-time team and offer better pay–which means I could eventually drop the retail job and focus on the other one while doing my own design stuff on the side (as most interior designers and decorators do these days, I’ve learned).

It might all work out; it might not.  At this point, though, I’m willing to try just about anything!

Carry On

I don’t know how much blogging I’ll get to do nowadays, but I’ll be sure to keep you folks posted.  I’ve got a lot on my plate, but Element 7 is always on the back of my mind and I’m not gonna abandon it yet after all this time.

As it always has, it will take time to finish the job, but by golly I will finish it!

Addendum: oh yeah!  By the way, I came across this cool new blog called The Archaeology of Tomb Raider, if anyone is interested. 😀

10 Responses to “Absent”

1. Gypsy Architecture March 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM #

Keeping up the blogging can be so difficult! I sympathise!

2. Stephen A. Watkins March 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM #

Hey, it looks like things are turning up in the professional department. Your website looks good (unfinished, yes, but still very good), and if those pics are examples of your interior work, I’m impressed!

But I know what you mean about having a difficult time to make space for writing in your life. I’ve a post coming up, hopefully this week, about the challenges I’m facing on that front.

• Tiyana March 20, 2013 at 1:16 PM #

Thanks, Stephen!

Yeah, I feel so guilty! But you can only do what you can only do, I guess.

I forgot to mention, too, that a local writing group is considering adding me to their group. They’re reviewing my sample of E7 now, so if they do decide to let me join then I have no choice but to finish my edits! LoL

• Stephen A. Watkins March 20, 2013 at 2:19 PM #

Don’t let yourself feel too guilty – my personal belief is that’s not terribly healthy. Because you’re right: you can only do what you can only do.

Good luck with y our writer’s group, too, if they let you in.

3. T. S. Bazelli March 20, 2013 at 12:46 PM #

Good luck! I’ve been wondering how you were doing 🙂 Sometimes writing has to take a back seat, and that’s fine. There are more important things, and the good thing about being unpublished? No deadlines!

4. Anthony Lee Collins March 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM #

You can only do what you can do, and that will vary depending on everything else that’s going on. You’re absolutely right about that. And it’s great when we find something that gets the old creative juices going, whether it’s a book, a movie, a game, whatever. My calendar already has reminders about the new Pynchon novel and Kick-Ass 2 (and Les Miserables on DVD, which was today 🙂 ).

Good luck with the work stuff and the writing group.

• Tiyana March 22, 2013 at 11:22 PM #

Thanks, Anthony!

Oh boy–I didn’t even know they were making a second Kick-Ass! 😀

5. The Man Formerly Known as EJ Apostrophe April 12, 2013 at 6:22 AM #

Hi, The formerly EJ Apostrophe here 🙂 Keep a steady pace! Balance and prayer are the keys to sanity! 🙂

• Tiyana April 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM #