Music & Stuff

15 Aug

Howdy, folks.  Kinda didn’t blog last time! :/

I have no thoughts on anything writing-related at the moment.  However, I have been creative this week.

Some of you may know that I play piano by ear and also that I’m a big Mass Effect fan. 😀 As such, I decided to put my YouTube account to use and post a video of my interpretation of a song from that video game series.

Here’s a link to the original song, and here’s my video:

I recorded this on my phone, so it isn’t the best quality video… I should probably use my Kodak camera next time, heh.

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

21 Responses to “Music & Stuff”

1. J. P. Cabit August 15, 2012 at 2:02 PM #

That was incredible.

I had no idea you were a pianist! It inspires me to post one of my tunes up online…

• Tiyana August 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM #

Yay! That would be a treat. ^_^

2. deshipley August 15, 2012 at 8:10 PM #

Piano! ^-^
    I was classically trained for most of my childhood, but can’t play by ear as well as I’d like. …which I’d probably say no matter how awesome at it I was, so I don’t expect a lot of sympathy. I’m currently trying to teach myself to play a recently-composed song of mine. It’s sounding better with practice, but it’s frustrating how quickly my fingers forget what they’re supposed to do, never mind that I just repeated that chord change 10 blinking times… Anyway. Enough with my private musical issues.
    Thanks for sharing your song, Tiyana! The vocal bits were also entertaining.

• Tiyana August 16, 2012 at 7:20 AM #

Glad you enjoyed it!

Do you write your song on paper first & then try to play it? I don’t think I’ve tried that before. (I can read music; I just prefer not to sometimes, lol.) Like I started trying to write down one of my songs & I was like, “OMG, I’m playing THAT?!?”

It scares me; I didn’t realize how often I changed time signatures, for one, because I never think about it that way… And I used some hemiolas? No way! :O

Seeing it on paper puts too much other info in my head, lol. I was clasically trained on viola, so I think of viola music in terms of technicalities…but not piano. It’s weird. :/

• deshipley August 16, 2012 at 2:44 PM #

Usually what I’ll do when composing the song is jot down the letters of the melody and the chord changes in relation to the lyrics, just so I’ll remember how it all went, at the end of the day. (My memory has eaten too many new songs before, so I’m more proactive about preserving them now.) It’s a pretty bare-bones deal, like a musical outline. My notation will rarely go farther than that.

If, on the other hand, I feel like having some full-on orchestration, I’ve got a computer program for that. Of course, the end result tends to be far more than two human hands can play. But it can serve as inspiration for when I’m sitting at the piano and am trying to figure out what I want to hear — which, when playing by ear, is half the battle.

• Tiyana August 16, 2012 at 3:02 PM #

Ah….I see! Yeah, sometimes I come up with stuff that wouldn’t work on the piano… More orchestral, like you said.

What program do you use, out of curiosity?

I would loooooove to get Garage Band, but I don’t have a Mac, lol. I currently have something called Noteworthy, which I’m not crazy about… Not really designed for people who compose by playing vs. primarily through notation. Plus, the sounds are cheesy! o_O

• deshipley August 16, 2012 at 3:45 PM #

Finale Workbook from McGraw Hill (or some such). The CD came with a textbook I had to get for a music theory class, a few years back. I’m not sure the version of the program I got was fully up-to-date, even then, and inserting a whole score one note at a time can be tediously slow going, but I’ve gotten some great use out of it…on my PC, since I’m Mac-less, too. (:

• Tiyana August 17, 2012 at 6:47 AM #

I had to use Finale for my music theory class, as well! 😀

• deshipley August 17, 2012 at 9:32 AM #

Hello, world — you’re small! Lol.
            Incredible timing: My blog today is all about making music, and even includes a sample of what Finale and I have been known to get up to!

• Tiyana August 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM #

Neato! I’ll go check it out. 😀

3. Stephen A. Watkins August 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM #

Well I, for one, am impressed. I have a very limited musical ability – and no skill on any musical instrument. This seems like a very-nearly pitch-perfect rendition of the theme song you linked to.

• Tiyana August 16, 2012 at 10:59 AM #

I was going for a near-exact match, except the ending ’cause it gets a little weird in the original… I was just like *plays a bunch of notes in sequence* lol.

Though, my fingers also like to throw in extra (unplanned) notes every now and then…

• Stephen A. Watkins August 16, 2012 at 11:11 AM #

Yeah the original went discordant at the end, but I suspect that’s harder to duplicate.

4. Sarah White August 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM #

Awesome rendition Tbone! As you know, that is one of my favorite songs that you play (your version is better than the original). You are a lady of many talents and should consider posting more of your songs. They bring such joy to our hearts!!! Keep playing and writing, I feel honored to witness such poise and greatness.

5. Jay Noel August 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM #

Great job T! I don’t think your cat as a scrawny butt, though!

• Tiyana August 20, 2012 at 5:04 PM #

LoL, oh, he’s pretty bony…

6. Ayslyn'sCorner August 26, 2012 at 6:33 PM #

You’ve been nominated for the Super Sweet Blogging Award! Congrats! Check out the details here: https://ayslynscorner.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/super-sweet-blogging-award/

7. Auntie Monique August 30, 2012 at 2:33 PM #

T-Bone you are totally awesome! I love you and am so proud to be your auntie!! Keep up the good work, absolutely lovely! Auntie Moe 🙂