Two Doors

14 Oct

It’s #FlashFriday again, and the #FridayFictioneers are writing and sharing their 100-word stories over at Madison Woods’ blog.  You can check out some of their stories and even share one of your own, if you’re interested.

Mine came to 100 words again this week.  Here’s the inspiration image Madison shared with us:

And now for my story!

~

Two Doors

Two doors.  I couldn’t choose.

I stood before a weathered structure beneath a gabled roof, the howls of wild predators escalating from behind.  The doors were identical–battered and wooden, likely holding the same destiny–yet somehow I sensed my choice would matter.

Suddenly, the thresholds burst aglow with otherworldly lighting—the left an eerie purple, the right a radiant pink.  The wolves’ cries silenced in exchange for cornering growls.

Frantic, I forced the right door open, shutting it just as quickly.  When the blinding light subsided I found myself lost in howling woods again.

This time I’d choose purple.

~

32 Responses to “Two Doors”

1. John Hardy Bell October 14, 2011 at 10:17 AM #

Easily the best I’ve read today! Way to nail it!

• Tiyana October 14, 2011 at 11:29 AM #

Cool! Glad you liked it. 😀

Looking back, I think I’d actually change “I stood before a weathered structure” to “I’d found a weathered structure” and modify the rest of the sentence, but what’s done is done!

2. jshill October 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM #

NIce one!

3. John Wiswell October 14, 2011 at 11:38 AM #

I dug this! I agree with John, the best interpretation of the prompt I’ve read today. The urgency carries it.

• Tiyana October 14, 2011 at 12:39 PM #

You people are making me blush! If black girls can…blush…visibly, lol.

Thanks for reading, John. 🙂

4. Siobhan Muir October 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM #

Spectacular use of the two doors. And what will purple bring that pink did not? Well done.

• Tiyana October 14, 2011 at 12:41 PM #

Thanks, Siobhan!

Yes, the protagonist seems to think the purple one would automatically be better, but the fact is we don’t really know!

5. dmmacilroy October 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM #

Hi Tiyana,

Good use of the two doors. They were compelling, weren’t they?

“Suddenly the thresholds burst aglow with otherworldly lighting—the left an eerie purple, the right a radiant pink.”

or

“Suddenly the thresholds burst aglow, on the left an eerie purple and on the right a radiant pink.”

Maybe let the reader decide if the lighting you describe is otherworldly. That’s the only spot that threatened to derail my train of thought in your mysterious story.

Aloha,

Doug

• Tiyana October 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM #

Something to consider! Thanks for the suggestion, Doug. 🙂

6. Madison Woods October 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM #

Oh I like the idea of having to choose which door. Very symbolic for every choice we face in life, really. Great job!

• Tiyana October 14, 2011 at 3:49 PM #

Heh, I’m not sure my thought process went that deep, but I’m glad you got more out of it!

Also, you took yet another great photograph this week. You’re quite lucky to live in such a beautiful area. 🙂

• Madison Woods October 14, 2011 at 7:16 PM #

I do live in a beautiful place, no doubt, and I love it here. My soul craves certain kinds of beauty like a plant craves sunlight, so it’s a requirement for my happiness I think.

7. mahjira October 14, 2011 at 3:07 PM #

I totally would have gone with the radiant pink too! I love how you told the story
    and it leaves you with the nagging question – what’s behind the purple?

• Tiyana October 14, 2011 at 3:52 PM #

*duh duh duuuuuhhh…..*

Heheh.

Thanks for reading, Mahjira. Glad you enjoyed the story. 🙂

8. T. S. Bazelli October 14, 2011 at 6:31 PM #

Hmm I wonder if the doors always open to the same place or not! 🙂

• Tiyana October 14, 2011 at 10:05 PM #

The world may never know…heheheh.

9. deshipley October 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM #

Do-over door!
    Very creative incorperation of the colors of the sky, Tiyana (in the very gorgeous photo, Madison!).

• Madison Woods October 14, 2011 at 7:16 PM #

Thank you!

• Tiyana October 14, 2011 at 10:33 PM #

Thanks, Danielle!

Thanks all around! haha

10. A Wee Adventure October 15, 2011 at 8:25 AM #

Expertly done. Oddly I started to feel chilly as read that although going back you never gave any direct description of it being cold. Wonderful use of colours as well – fascinating to see how much you took from the photo whilst ending up with something so completely different.

• Tiyana October 15, 2011 at 1:45 PM #

Thanks, David!

Hmm…that’s interesting, about the cold. I did actually imagine it would be drafty and really wanted to show the leaves rustling in the wind, but there wasn’t much room for this. So what I did was try using “howling” not just to describe the sound of wolves but also to evoke the atmosphere of wind blowing through the woods’ leaves with the phrase “howling woods”, which is kind of open for interpretation. (I’ve always associated the idea of wind blowing through leaves with a “cool” feeling myself.)

Idk, maybe this worked? *cringes*

11. Robin Hawke October 15, 2011 at 10:06 AM #

Fascinating. I enjoyed that the character wanted another chance and to be inside something that didn’t seem friendly at all.

I wondered whether you needed your second sentence…I think the thought is implicit in the first, but since the necessity of the story hangs on choice, it might be necessary. Not sure at all.

Robin

• Tiyana October 15, 2011 at 2:47 PM #

Hi, Robin. Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts. 🙂

You know what’s funny? I didn’t actually mean to imply that the character wanted to be there, lol, but the situation itself is so sparsely described that I guess this can’t be helped! I actually wanted her (I’ll just make the character female) to be trapped in a loop of sorts, not knowing if there was any other way out of these woods besides these two doors. And although I say she gets lost again after going through the door on the right, she seems to believe it’ll be easy to find this building again regardless, like it’s her only option. (It’s possible she may be stuck in a weird dream state or magical illusion.)

I did want to explain more about the situation, but you know, 100 words… (It’s probably best I didn’t.) I guess that’s the cool thing about not describing everything because then it’s completely open for interpretation!

As for the second fragment, I supposed I could have left that out, but I felt it would be a stronger opening to show that the character was conflicted about having a choice in the first place. If there are two doors on the building in front of you and you’re trying to get away from wolves coming from behind, then why should it matter which one you choose when you’re just trying to get inside before danger catches up to you?

In a normal situation, it shouldn’t, but for some reason the protagonist thinks it does matter. The fact that she pauses to express the thought “I couldn’t choose” is what implies that there may be more to the choice than one might think. At least…that was the intent, heh.

12. Ayslyn'sCorner October 15, 2011 at 3:37 PM #

Wow, I really like it! I focused in on the tone and environment and almost completely discarded the little house. Its fascinating to see where different people’s focus falls.

• Tiyana October 15, 2011 at 4:58 PM #

“Its fascinating to see where different people’s focus falls.”

I agree! For me, that’s one of funnest aspects of participating in these challenges. With a lot of us using the same inspiration image, too, I think it helps with learning to see more possibilities and considering new ways to approach these flash pieces. No one approach or perspective is better than the others, just different.

I’m glad you enjoyed the story, Ayslyn. I look forward to reading yours (and everyone else’s!) next week. 🙂

13. The Lime October 16, 2011 at 8:18 AM #

Girrrl… this is my favorite this week. Have you ever seen the movie Labyrinth? Reminds me of that for some reason. But it’s just so perfect that it’s circular, that the narrator chose the wrong door. Thanks for writing!

• Tiyana October 16, 2011 at 11:18 AM #

I’ve seen Pan’s Labyrinth, but that’s probably not what you’re talking about, lol. The circular aspect was fun. I don’t think I’d ever tried that before.

Thanks for reading!

14. Jay Noel October 18, 2011 at 7:57 AM #

Always go with the purple!

Good stuff, as always.

15. Sarah White October 24, 2016 at 10:27 PM #

Man I am enjoying your Flash Friday’s! Why did you stop? You have such a gift for these mini short stories…What a gift Tiyana! 🙂