Heart of Rosalina

16 Sep

It’s #FlashFriday over at Madison’s blog again, and the challenge is to write a story in 100 words or less.  Anyone can join! 😀  (If you do give it a go and have a story you’d like to share today, then just post a link over at her blog here so other folks can read it, too.  You can share here as well, if you’d like.)

This week mine came to exactly 100 words again, according to Word.  (It likes to count hyphenated words as one.  Otherwise, I guess it’s 103. :/)  It kind of reminds me of “The Road” in some ways, but oh well.  The colors in Madison’s inspiration photo sparked the idea for the story.  Take a look:

I really wanted to go into more detail with this one!  I kind of had a Lara Croft-type scenario in mind, hehe.  (I currently have a slideshow of some of the concept art from the video games as a wallpaper on my laptop, believe it or not.  I love video game art–so imaginative!)

Sometimes I feel different sources of inspiration call for different characters to filter things through, so today you will meet a new protagonist.  I seem to like using Kitty for more whimsical, lighthearted stories and someone different for the more foreboding ones.  (Hmm, maybe Lois could have been the protagonist in “The Road”…)

Anyway, here’s the story.

~

Heart of Rosalina

Lois squeezed through a narrow stone passageway, entering a large chamber illuminated by a soft, rosy light.  A small object floated in the center, throwing off wispy yellow-white sparks.  The light gradated from pink to a violet which tinged the chamber walls.

“The Heart of Rosalina,” Lois whispered to herself, reverently reaching for the source and finding a cool, faceted stone.  It immediately absorbed the light in the room, leaving but a faint glow.

The chamber began to quake.

Lois turned and held the crystal out before her, revealing a half-closed passageway.

“Dammit.”

Of course, these places were always booby-trapped.

~

16 Responses to “Heart of Rosalina”

1. Madison Woods September 16, 2011 at 9:50 AM #

I love the color I can see and feel in this piece 🙂 Has a sort of ‘Raiders’ sense of adventure about to happen, too. Thanks for joining us!

• Tiyana September 16, 2011 at 10:14 AM #

Always a pleasure. It’s a lot of fun!

2. John Hardy Bell September 16, 2011 at 10:40 AM #

You had me at Lara Croft. 😉

Then I read it, and you REALLY had me!! I nearly let out an audible ‘Yeah!’ at the end! Nicely done.

• Tiyana September 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM #

Haha, another Croft fan! Glad you liked where I was going with the story. 🙂

Have you heard about the new game that’s supposed to be coming out soon? I guess it starts from the beginning and shows how she became the Tomb Raider.

3. T. S. Bazelli September 16, 2011 at 1:34 PM #

I’m amazed you can squeeze a story down into 100 words! I always go long.. hehe

Yes very Lara Croft / Indiana Jones. 🙂

• Tiyana September 16, 2011 at 5:56 PM #

Oh, I was soooo itching to go longer, haha. But I splurged once and then felt guilty, heh, so I’m really trying to abide by the 100/less. It’s a good exercise!

• Madison Woods September 16, 2011 at 6:17 PM #

Hahaha, and you’re doing soooooo good at doing 100 words, lol. It *is* hard to stay so short, though, for me too.

4. John Wiswell September 16, 2011 at 7:42 PM #

This is why you bring a bag of sand and a bullwhip wherever you’re thieving. Mr. Jones taught us much about archaeology. And high adventure.

Enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing.

• Tiyana September 17, 2011 at 6:55 AM #

Haha, true. Very true… Looks like Lois needs to find herself a signature tool soon, huh? 😀

Glad you liked it!

5. Jan Morrill September 16, 2011 at 10:00 PM #

Uh-oh! Great story-love the ending.

6. Luke Raftl September 18, 2011 at 8:20 PM #

Haha.

“Of course, these places were always booby-trapped.”

Love the dry humour Tiyana. How is she going to get out of this one ..?

• Tiyana September 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM #

Your guess is as good as mine! Haha.

7. Jay Noel September 20, 2011 at 4:18 PM #

When I read you work, I can REALLY tell that you’re a designer. Everything is so three-dimensional, and your use of color is awesome.

How is your WIP going, by the way. I hope you’re at least up to your 10th draft!

• Tiyana September 20, 2011 at 8:43 PM #

Haha, that’s awesome. Thanks for the compliments. 🙂

And no, I’m not quite up to #10 yet. 😉 Besides, I reset the counter. This is officially the “1st edit”. I feel a deep need to psychologically distance myself from “drafts”, since I’ve already seen many of those…lol.

Anyway, it’s coming along. Taking more time than I thought it would, but it’s coming together…slowly but surely. Filling holes, realigning things and such.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. “Drabble” « Ever On Word - November 30, 2011

[…] Inspired by this post, I wrote a drabble. Later that day, I happened upon an online magazine looking for drabble […]