The Road

26 Aug

Howdy, folks.  Got a new flash story for ya!  This time it’s only 99 words long.  (I swear I’m getting better.)  Though, no Kitty this time.  I don’t want to be cruel to her just yet.

Anyway, here’s the inspiration image from Madison’s blog, just as last week:

I think this one feels more open-ended than the last image, so my story reflects that.

Hope you enjoy!

~

The Road

Sweating, panting, she came to a narrow road. Behind her stretched desert, before her an abrupt forest whose uncanny flora seemed to swallow the sunset sky.  A peculiar contrast, to be sure.

Trees promised water, however.

So she trudged onward, onward, onward…the moon stalking her from above.

A rippling illumination appeared at last.  She surged ahead, though cumbersome feet sent her to her knees.  So she crawled until her trembling hands met tranquil, wet coolness.

As she lapped desperately the forest creaked about her.  The pool turned black, moonlight disappearing.

She turned slowly and…the road was gone.

~

13 Responses to “The Road”

1. Carmen August 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM #

Hello Tiyana, it is great to see your posts every so often. I like that I can keep up with what is important to you “kids” so easily.
    Congrats on graduating!! that is awesome. I know Courtney just did also and I am so very happy and proud for you ladies. You both turned into great women.

I was reading your blog and the premise of Element 7, I must say that they are pretty good. I would love to read the novel when it finally comes out (I can feel that it will get published!) and to say to my friends, hehe! I know her!! she used to hang out at my house and we used to go to the park! lol. I have always loved the Star Wars Universe though I am not as good at writing the stories I LOVE to read them! I have many in my bookcase from writers that explored a lot of different worlds that never made it to the movies. So keep it up! By the excerpt I just read, your novel seems to be in a very interesting genre and looks interesting.

I read this flash story (The Road) and I liked your story. It is so interesting to read what someone came up with by just looking at a photo. Keep on writing, I like it and I am sure many more out there would as well.

Say hello to your Mom and Dad and your sister Cierra for me, I remember your whole family fondly and I am hoping that all is well with all of you.

Would love to see and read more from you so I am going to follow your blog and posts.

Carmen!

• Tiyana August 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM #

Hi, Carmen! It’s so nice to hear from you. 🙂

Thanks for the congrats. I can’t believe Courtney will be getting married soon! No such thing happening here, haha.

I hope to be published eventually, though it’s taking me longer than I’d expected to get to that point, heh. I’m glad I can at least share some fiction with these short stories of late! I don’t write too many shorts; I’ve always wanted to work on something very grand.

Oh, and the family all says hello and hopes you are doing well. 😀

Again, thanks so much for stopping by!

2. Madison Woods August 26, 2011 at 11:47 AM #

Uh-oh, sounds like a bad deal for your mc even if it’s not Kitty. The woods sound kind of creepy to be stuck out there without a road. Great job! Thanks and I hope to see you again with another flash next week 🙂

• Tiyana August 26, 2011 at 3:10 PM #

Thanks, Madison! Looking forward to it.

3. J. P. Cabit August 26, 2011 at 1:14 PM #

Oh crumbs…not a pesky mirage. That’d ruin my day.

• Tiyana August 26, 2011 at 3:12 PM #

It does kind of look like a mirage at the end of the road, don’t it? (I was thinking of going towards that end, but then I thought that’d be pretty expected, heh.)

• J. P. Cabit August 26, 2011 at 5:17 PM #

Hmm, makes you wonder what it really is……

• Tiyana August 27, 2011 at 12:14 PM #

I just realized in the context of my story it could be like an illusion spell or something.

Though, being as tired as my protagonist was, she probably just walked right through it without noticing, heh.

• J. P. Cabit August 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM #

How tired I am right now, I feel like I might walk through a mirage right now too, lol 😛

4. Jay Noel August 28, 2011 at 12:08 PM #

Looks like that GPS system would’ve been handy right there.

• Tiyana August 28, 2011 at 3:19 PM #

Unless evasive magic was involved–duh duh duuuuhhh….

5. T. S. Bazelli August 29, 2011 at 10:43 AM #

I quite liked that! It’s hard to condense a story into so few words, and a story it was. I have trouble with cutting things down to 1000 words (flash length). Definitely ominous ending though!

• Tiyana August 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM #

Thanks, Theresa! Glad you liked it. 🙂

What’s weird is I seem to be okay with working on the extreme ends of the spectrum (flash and epic) though not so much in between. :/ Could just be because I’ve never put in a conscious effort to try it before, though, haha.

Some day…I’ll get around to trying complete short stories. Seems those would be hardest! Just enough room for a little expansion but not enough to go wild, heh.