Face The Chasm

19 Aug

Madison Woods has this fun challenge on her blog on Fridays (I just discovered it yesterday!) where she posts an interesting image and encourages folks to write a piece of flash fiction inspired by it.  I’ve never tried this before, so I thought I’d give it a go.

The story can be only 100 words long (aaaah!), and after some modification, mine came in at exactly 100.

Phew.

Anyways, I’d like to share it here. 🙂  And also the inspiration image posted over at Madison’s blog:

‘Facing the Cliff’ by Juan ‘One’ Sepúlveda.

~

Face the Chasm

“Ha!  You’ll never make it!”

“Whoa!  Don’t look down!”

Kitty scoffed; this was the last of the foretold trials, a chasm full of mocking faces?

Crossing by lassoing the nearby tree would have been easy, had the faces been mouthless.  They blew a gale so strong across the chasm that Kitty could not make it to the other side.  Exhausted, she challenged with breathless resolve, “I bet you all can’t keep your mouths shut for fifteen seconds!”

Offended, the faces immediately accepted Kitty’s challenge.

And so it was with the allotted time that Kitty evaded the mocking chasm by lasso.

~

17 Responses to “Face The Chasm”

1. Julie Jordan Scott August 19, 2011 at 10:09 AM #

Oh, I like the wisdom of Kitty!! Brava for strong female characters!

This is my first week writing a #FlashFriday post. Mine was 99 words, after editing… was everywhere from 114 words to 88 words.

• Tiyana August 19, 2011 at 10:21 AM #

Yay! I’m glad you liked Kitty. ^_^

Thank you for commenting and sharing a link to your story, Julie! I’m about to go check it out now. 🙂

2. Stephen A. Watkins August 19, 2011 at 10:16 AM #

Nice. Way to face the challenge.

I couldn’t have done it. Last year T.S. Bazelli often hosted a Friday Flash challenge on her blog in which I frequently participated… but the word limit was 1,000. And probably 4 out of 5 of my stories went way over. My style just doesn’t lend itself well to the hyper-short form.

• Tiyana August 19, 2011 at 10:59 AM #

Thanks, Stephen!

To be honest, I actually almost gave up this morning, haha. (This made me sad but then later determined.) My initial idea required like 128 words, but…the 100-word limit does force a certain kind of creativity.

Didn’t think I could make it happen!

3. Madison Woods August 19, 2011 at 10:18 AM #

Very creative! I loved your story, so complete in only 100 words 🙂 Thanks for joining me, this was so much fun I hope everyone wants to do it again next week.

• Tiyana August 19, 2011 at 11:14 AM #

Thanks Madison!

I’m so glad to have come across your blog! Yesterday I was stumped by some issues I was having with my WIP (it’s pretty long), so it was nice to be able to figure something out creatively with a considerably shorter piece.

I didn’t think I could write short stories–let alone flash fiction–but I think your challenge is encouraging me to think otherwise! I certainly hope to participate in more of your challenges in the future. 🙂

• Madison Woods August 19, 2011 at 7:17 PM #

I’m working on two novels, one in editing/revision and one in outline. And the short story is so far about 6500 words, LOL. Not too many markets for a short of that length!

The 100-word exercises help me best by allowing me to capture an essence, to distill a feeling down into a small package so I can apply that later to my longer projects.

Besides, it’s a great challenge and fun. I’ve only this week decided to try to get other writers involved and that made it even more fun so I think I’ll keep doing that.

• Madison Woods August 19, 2011 at 7:18 PM #

Oh, and I’m very glad to have found your blog too!

• Tiyana August 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM #

😀 Should be fun!

4. RNR August 20, 2011 at 8:04 AM #

Very smart of Kitty!

I think you did a great job on your first 100-word story–it stands up as a short-story and is engaging. I usually have issues with combining those two, hehe.

• Tiyana August 20, 2011 at 8:11 AM #

Thanks, Rowan! I think I may stick with Kitty’s character (maybe one more, too) and try to come up with a bunch of flash stories for her, but…we’ll see. 🙂

5. Jay Noel August 22, 2011 at 2:04 PM #

Kitty outsmarted the faces…(I don’t know why, but the faces are a little disturbing to me!)

• Tiyana August 22, 2011 at 3:29 PM #

I agree about those faces, lol.

Thanks for reading & commenting, Jay!

6. onesgallery January 3, 2013 at 2:37 PM #

Great Job Tiyana. I came across your Flash Fiction by chance and was very pleased to see one of my paintings inspiring others to be creative. In my travels promoting my work, I have heard countless interpretations of the painting titled “Facing the Cliff”, but you created action and inspiration. You revealed the struggles of an individual and the ultimate triumph over the seemingly impossible.

I will be sharing your story through my pages. Thanks for bringing that scene to life.

May God bless you and your readers.
    Juan ‘One’ Sepúlveda

I am posting your story also at http://www.Facebook.com/SepulvedaFineArt

• Tiyana January 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM #

Hello, Juan. Thanks so much for stopping by!

I came across your artwork originally through Madison Woods. She went out and found inspiration photos each week for writers to be inspired by, for a challenge to write 100-word stories.

Artists are such a wonderful part of our world, giving life to the previously un-imagined, and I’m glad to have come across and been inspired by your work. It lends itself quite readily to fantasy–which I love to indulge in. 😉

Thank you very much for sharing my story and for sharing those kind words here. It means a lot! 😀

• onesgallery January 4, 2013 at 10:06 PM #

Well Tiyana, I am glad that you enjoyed my work and thank you for now following my FB page. Hopefully other readers find you through my pages and get inspired by your writing, thereby perpetuating this inspiration cycle that I enjoy so much. May you be continuously blessed with inspiration and may your thoughts flow uninterrupted from your pen to the world.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. The Road « Seven & a Half First Drafts - January 14, 2012

[…] Anyway, here’s the inspiration image from Madison’s blog, just as last week: […]