Looky-Loo

29 Feb

Not much to blog about this week.

Lame!

But…I kinda changed some things around here, if you haven’t noticed.  Just little things, you know, ’cause I don’t like being cookie-cutter.

Anyway, tell me what you think!

In the meantime, I’ll try and think of something meaningful to blog about…

About these ads

10 Responses to “Looky-Loo”

1. Stephen A. Watkins February 29, 2012 at 1:02 PM #

Ah. Looks like you’re using WordPress’s Typekit options? No complaints, here.

• Tiyana February 29, 2012 at 6:37 PM #

Yeah, pretty much. :D Just wanted to jazz it up a bit, heh.

• Stephen A. Watkins March 1, 2012 at 10:04 AM #

At one time WordPress gave you two free fonts to use on your blog, but I can’t find that anymore. Did you get the upgrade, or did you find the free fonts?

• Tiyana March 1, 2012 at 7:43 PM #

Yeah, I got the upgrade. :) I wish I coulda found some free stuff, heh.

2. Anthony Lee Collins February 29, 2012 at 4:53 PM #

Looks good. The main thing with Typekit is to make sure how it fails, and (I mean this in a nice way) it fails fine. At work I saw the fancy fonts, but the text still looked fine (and normal) on my Kindle and here at home.

I’m so clueless about design that I might not even have noticed if you hadn’t mentioned it. The original appeal of blog software to me was that I could choose themes and stop relying on my own design (non)skills.

• Tiyana February 29, 2012 at 6:39 PM #

You’ll have to explain this “how it fails” business to me ’cause I’ve never heard of that before! I try not to use especially fancy lettering but look for things with character, as well. So to speak…

• Anthony Lee Collins March 1, 2012 at 8:25 AM #

Web design is a bit like trying to paint a painting by describing what you want in a phone call to the person with the brush and the canvas, and then hoping for the best (I’m exaggeratng a bit, but not by that much). And of course you’re talking to a lot of different people with a lot of different brushes and sizes and shapes of canvas (and some of them are listening more carefully than others — but you get the idea).

With fonts, specifically, you’re limited to the fonts each person has installed on his or her computer. You may love Helvetica, as many people do, bit if somebody goes to your site using a computer that doesn’t have Helvetica, they won’t see Helvetica. So, you usually tell the computer something like this: “please show this text in Helvetica if you can, or Arial would be a good second choice, or just use whatever sans serif font you happen to have. Thanks.”

Typekit is a pretty new thing, a way to get around this problem by having the browser download the fonts along with the rest of your site. This is great, but not everybody can get Typekit fonts for various technical reasons, but you still want them to be able to see your site. So, if Typekit fails for a specific user, you want it to fail in a way that will still allow them to see your content.

Everything I just said is a gross oversimplfiication ( :-) ), and I left out a lot of things, but you get the idea.

• Tiyana March 1, 2012 at 7:37 PM #

Ah…’k, that makes sense now.

Thanks. :D

3. Jay Noel March 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM #

Like the new font!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 407 other followers